Saturday, November 7, 2009

me and my walnut

My uterus and I are doing fine now.

Though life conspired to bring care-giving full circle and I have spent much time since caring for adults rather than new children of my own, seeing the passing of someone you love is in many ways also like a birth -- like me, she was delivered from pain into a new purified life. Just not with me.

My uterus is about the size of a walnut. No symptoms have returned, and I maintain a low estrogen level with daily birth control. I now bleed only about two days or three days a month. My DOC, aka the holy spirit herself, tells me there is no woman alive who deserves a light period more than I do!

Every time I go in to see my guardian angel, my Doc, she smiles and says "I think about you every day... NO! I think about your UTERUS, everyday".

In the end, the reason for all my pain and complication was a misdiagnosis by the clinic where I was originally seen. It was no submucosal fibroid, subserous, or was it intramural (inside the muscular wall) it was in fact pendunculated myoma. A fibroid connected by a "stalk" -- the type that a embolism will kill, but the body can not accommodate for. It is not really anyone's fault -- DOC#3 herself could not believe how short and how broad the "stalk" itself was -- disguising it as submucosal. The embolism killed it and my body spent three months trying to "delivery" the myoma as if it weren't attached to my uterus -- I was basically in labor for a couple months -- explaining the dialation and the labor like pains that pain killers couldn't touch. The "liver" that dropped out of me was necrotic material -- dead stuff... quite the crazy natural wonder, a woman's body. But this journey was more than that, wasn't it?

These battles we fight, they do help us grow. They in fact demand that we grow. Though professionally I may have lost some traction because of this journey, though my daughter may continue to have fear issues as she matures into womanhood I will help her through, this journey did take me somewhere. A place where I have learned to follow my intuition unapologetically, even when it's mistaken. A place where my sexuality is an innate gift, that I am to enjoy and celebrate and fight for. A place where I know there are heroes, living (at least for a little longer, in a few cases) right here with me. I am thankful everyday for the preservation of my body, for the loving care it finally received, and for the people that came into my life,... just in the nick of time.

No comments: